Spinach Lasagna Rolls


Who knew healthy could taste so good. I will definetely be making this dish more often, they were yummy in tummy. Everyone thought the tofu was ricotta cheese. The rolls did seem like they were lacking some sauce so I served some more on the side. I also could have cooked the noodles a little longer. I cooked them just a little short of al dente because I thought they would continue to cook when I baked them, but I was mistaken. Nonetheless, they were still good. I'll just have to make a note to myself for next time. I was actually able to get three extra rolls when I made this. Since I had some leftover I was able to freeze some and eat it later in the week. YAY...two-fer. I need to find more recipes that are freezable. Try it...I promise no one will be able to tell it's good for them, even if they're a tofu hater.
I've had this recipe for so long I don't know where I found it on the internet. Sorry to whomever the original owner is...but thanks!!

Lasagna rolls – 6 servings
2 rolls each = 354 cal
12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles, Ronzoni Healthy Harvest whole wheat
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
3 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives (I left these out)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes.
OR
Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.

2 comments:



Eva said...

Those look great. I think I will freeze batches wrapped in foil in my loaf pan so that I can heat up a few of them at a time for a meal or two. That way I don't get sick of them but I have lots of food for later.

NuM NuM said...

Hi Me! I actually froze the leftovers and they tasted just as good as the original ones. It's a great healthy meal for pasta. Hope you likey!!