Blueberry Frozen Yogurt/Sorbet


Lobster brought a huge box of blueberries home the other day so I played Iron Chef with my secret ingredient. My first thought was blueberry muffins, but for some reason or another my mind shifted to dessert and this sorbet was born. Although the recipe states it's frozen yogurt - it has the consistency of a sorbet more than a fro-yo, so that's what we're callin' it! Sorbets are always so refreshing after a heavy meal and feel more like a palate cleanser then a glutinous dessert to me. It's scary how I can justify things in my mind.

Since the sorbet is made with yogurt it's more figure friendly then some of my other non "ass-friendly" creations like this and this and this. The only downfall of this sorbet is that is freezes rock solid. But I guess it's a good thing since it prevents me from eating out of the container with the freezer door open. Bon appetito!


Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Makes 1 1/2 quarts


3 cups plain yogurt or greek yogurt
1/3 cup to 1 1/2 cup sugar (depending how sweet you like it - I used 1/3 cup)
¼ tsp salt
6 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 tbs vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon

Cook berries, salt and sugar in saucepan over medium heat until berries get soft and dark juices run out of them about 5-10 minutes. Push through strainer then mix with extract and the lemon zest and chill in the fridge for one-two hours.

Freeze in your favorite ice cream maker per their instructions. Enjoy!

0 comments: