Pea Pesto Crostini

Pea Crostinis - not to be mistaken for green booties :)


Since I'm on a new healthy kick, I thought I'd make an ass friendly dip to munch on before my meal. Who knew the taste of
sweet peas, tofu (shhh...it's a secret, no one will be the wiser) and a little Parmesan cheese could transform into such an appetizing appetizer. Appetizing appetizer, appetizing appetizer, say that three times fast - I'm having difficulty just typing it.

I don't know why the idea of a pea dip seemed so strange to me. Perhaps since peas are a vegetable they had no place being the star of a dip! I thought: peas in a dip - ew, no way. Yet, I have no qualms eating a spinach artichoke dip - and that's a double whammy of veggies! But after eating these little veggies in a dip I am now a convert! Go ahead, make this dip and give peas a chance :)


Pea Pesto Crostini

Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
Makes 2 cups

  • 1 baguette (sliced thin on a diagonal)
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup extra firm/firm tofu - squeezed dry
  • 1 ounce Parmesan, grated
  • one squeeze of fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • salt and pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste

Method:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Toast until golden, about 10-12 minutes. (Watch carefully so they don’t burn!)

Place tofu between paper towels and squeeze as much liquid out as possible

Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, puree the peas, and tofu. Place mixture in bowl and add parmesan and lemon juice, salt (about 1/2 tsp.), and pepper (about 1/4 tsp.) to taste. I ended up adding more lemon juice, and S&P. If you feel the dip is too chunky or taste a little gritty add olive oil until it reaches the consistency you like.

Spread the pea mixture on the crostini and top with grated Parmesan, if desired.

2 comments:



Unknown said...

Great idea, I love the color. My daughter and I must try this.

NuM NuM said...

Hi Jennifurla - hope you and your little munchkin enjoy them