Diane's Caesar Salad


*I've written about this Caesar salad in the past, but I thought I'd give it the justice it deserves and post a photo with it. This salad is my mother-in-law's recipe and one that has been passed down to me - this was the first inclination that I was officially accepted into the family :) The recipe is so good that it's actually making its way around our family since this is my sister-in-law's "go-to" recipe as well. It's the perfect balance of salty, tangy, sharp and yummy - best of all, no egg yolks required. So if you're looking for a simple and tasty Caesar salad - look no further.

For New Year's we also enjoyed a Caesar salad with our meal. I have never made Caesar salad dressing at home and this recipe was fantastic. I prefer this type of dressing over the creamy white kind.

For my bridal shower, my bridesmaids gave me a cookbook as a gift. They compiled recipes from my friends who came to the shower and made me my own personalized cookbook. It was so sweet and this is the first recipe I've made from it. The following recipe is my mother in law's version of Caesar salad dressing and it is dee-lish. I'll be using this as my default recipe from now on.

For my New Year's resolution, I have decided to cook and eat healthier. (We'll see how long this lasts) I have made my claim to make some sort of salad with our meals at least three times a week and eat fish at least once a week. Eeek, I hope I can do it.

Caesar Salad
This is an adapted version for my taste buds
Makes about 1/4 cup of dressing

S&P to taste
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1.5 tbs lemon juice or white wine vinegar
3.5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 bunches romaine lettuce (torn or cut into bite size pieces)
2 tbs grated parmesan or more if you desire
3 anchovies from a can of anchovies packed in oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly cracked pepper

Cut greens into bite size pieces and put in bowl. In a separate bowl finely grate garlic with a microplane grater or make garlic into a fine paste. Remove three anchovies from oil, finely chop and put into bowl with garlic cloves. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and mix vigorously until salt dissolves. Pour salad dressing over greens and toss to coat. Add parmesan cheese, toss, add more salt if needed and enjoy!

2 comments:



JENNIFER said...

DO YOU HAVE TO USE THE SARDINES. I JUST GET SUCH A TURN OFF FROM USING A SALTY LITTLE CANNED FISH. BUT THE REST OF THE RECIPE SOUNDS GOOD.

NuM NuM said...

Hi Jennifer - haven't tried it without anchovies but you can use them to make the dressing and then discard them before actually dressing the salad.