5-Minute Microwave Flourless Chocolate Cake


I know this may look like one gloppy mess, but sometimes the messiest things taste the best and this would be one of those occasions! I've seen this "5-minute" cake recipe on several different blogs and tonight I finally tried it for myself. I was watching an episode of "Chopped" on the Food Network and wanted to make something quick and delicious, so I was feeling inspired. Apparently I got a little carried away after watching the show because I was running around the kitchen like a mad woman trying to make the cake as if I were actually being timed. Hence, the not so pleasant photo because I couldn't wait to dive into the cake. Since it was still piping hot, I ended up burning my tongue - but it was worth it. Don't worry, the cold ice cream soothed the pain :) But the true inspiration for making this was because I knew the Salted Butter Ice Cream I made a few days ago would be the perfect counterpart for it. Since the ice cream is so sweet, it needed something to cut the richness and these chocolate cakes were perfect.

The original recipe added flour but since I'm not the best at following directions, I accidentally omitted it and didn't miss it one bit. Therefore, my version is flourless. I also swapped out the oil and substituted apple sauce, so mine is even healthier. The cake has the perfect amount of sweetness and tastes as light as a cloud in all it's delicious chocolatey yummyness. Who knew you could make such a decadent dessert in five minutes. I know many people freak out about using a microwave since the concept of food heating up that quickly is just frightening, but in times like this, the microwave is your friend. Whoever created this recipe was one smart focker. Alas, another day full of sweets. My mother in law probably cringes every time she gets a recipe update from me...so sorry :/ But at least we're having good eats :D


5-Minute Microwave Flourless Chocolate Cake
Recipe adapted from Not Quite Nigella

• 4 tablespoons flour (I omitted)
• 5 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons cocoa, Dutch-processed (Ghirardelli Ground Chocolate and Cocoa)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons milk (I used 2%)
• 3 tablespoons oil – (I used Mott’s no sugar added applesauce)
• Splash of vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
• 2 microwave safe coffee mugs or ramekins

My steps:
1. Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl
2. Mix egg, milk, oil in separate bowl
3. Add wet ingredients (milk, egg, oil, vanilla) to dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt)
4. Spray 2 ramekins with non stick cooking spray
5. Divide chocolate chips evenly among ramekins
6. Divide batter evenly in ramekins
7. Cook for 60-90 seconds (depending on microwave oven) <– watch it!!! On medium heat setting – cook until looks like molten lava cake center should still be jiggly since it’s going to continue to cook once you remove it. (I cooked mine at 60% power and cooked it for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes)
• Stand in front of the microwave and watch it rise. Don’t be afraid to open up the microwave to see.
• Put a paper plate or microwave safe bowl at the bottom of the mug, it gets messy.
• Serve with vanilla ice cream or even better, Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream

2 comments:



Angela said...

OK, I must try this--who knew you could have dessert in five minutes???

NuM NuM said...

Angela - yes this is a new go to for dessert. Hope you like it