Bacon, Cheddar and Chive Biscuits


I was going on a hike with my sister today so I thought I'd make us an energizing meal. I figured since we were "working out" we needed to fuel our bodies. In case you were wondering, yes cheese does give you more endurance :) and we can always use a little more calcium in our diet.

I thought these biscuits were pretty good. I was hoping for my "happy dance" reaction after I took my first bite but they were just "good." Although that didn't stop me from eating 1 1/2 of them :D They were not dense at all and tasted nice and light. This is a good starter recipe to tweek and make your own. Next time - and there will be a next time - I would and add some diced green chiles and use a stronger cheese, perhaps parmesan or gruyere.

Note: I was inspired to make some McDonald McMuffins so we made these into biscuit sammies and ate them with eggs and slow roasted tomatoes. Here's a good tip to make your eggs have the signature round look of a McD's mcmuffin. Make a frittata and cut the egg into round circles using a biscuit cutter.

Cheddar, Bacon, and Fresh Chive Biscuits – 308 calories
makes 6 large biscuits
Recipe by the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen

Ingredients
• 3 thick cut bacon slices
• 1 3/4 cup + 2 tbs cups bread flour
• 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoons table salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 1/4 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
• 2 1/2 tbs chopped fresh chives
• 3/4 cup + 3 tbs chilled buttermilk

Preparation
• Position rack just above center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, then chop coarsely.
• Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter cubes. Blend until coarse meal forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Add cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and chopped bacon; toss to blend. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring to moisten evenly (batter will feel sticky).
• Using lightly floured hands, drop generous 1/2 cup batter for each biscuit onto prepared baking sheet, spacing batter mounds about 2 inches apart.
• Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Brush biscuits lightly with some melted butter. Let cool 10 minutes.

**Although the recipe calls for 3 slices of thick cut bacon, I used 3 slices of regular bacon and thought it could use more "bacony" flavor. Next time I would use six slices.

2 comments:



Eva said...

if you want a perfectly shaped egg, spray your biscuit cutter with cooking spray, put it in a heated nonstick pan and crack the egg into the biscuit cutter. i prefer a messy egg pile but that's just me.

Quick Covers said...

Great post. Adding your own "spin" on a recipe can really garner some impressive results. Certainly a suggestion many home cooks may find helpful. Good read.