Guacamole

Guacamole is the perfect appetizer to serve for any occasion - especially when you're lounging around watching sports. I've made it in the past but have never made it using a mortar and pestle. After making it this way, I must say I will never go back to my old method again. Mashing the ingredients to a paste really enhances all the flavors throughout the guacamole and gives it lots of flavor. Chili powder is not a common ingredient in guacamole but I liked the extra kick it gave along with the jalapeno. Enjoy!


Guacamole - 3 servings
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded, minced (I only removed the seeds for half)
2 tbs minced red onion
Juice of half a lime
4 Haas avocados
1 vine ripened tomato, seeded, diced
Kosher salt
Pepper
Chili powder
2 Pita bread

Using the pestle mash the garlic, jalapeno, onion, salt and lime juice to release their juices and make into a paste. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. While holding avocado make 1/2 inch dice using the tip of a knife and then spoon out flesh with a spoon and place in the bowl with the other ingredients. Continue method for remaining avocado. Season to taste with salt, pepper, chili powder and more lime juice if needed. I like it spicy so I used lots of pepper.
**Guacamole will develop flavors longer it sits.

Pre-heat oven to 375F. Cut pita bread into eight wedges. Spray with PAM and seasong with S&P or to be really fancy, Lawry's Garlic Salt. Toast for nine minutes until brown and crispy. Watch carefully for last couple minutes since they can easily go from brown to burnt.

0 comments: