Strawberry Basil Frozen Yogurt


Hey yoooo...it's fro-yo!! Oh my, I am just getting cheesier and cheesier the more I blog. Anyway, who knew basil and strawberries could be such a good combo. This fro-yo is not only tasty but it is good for you! This is the one time it is indeed pleasure on the lips and NOT forever on the hips. The entire recipe is only 505 calories. That means you could eat the whole thing in one sitting and not get fat. But don't do that - that would just be disgusting...or would it?! Don't worry I won't judge. Go ahead pick up the bowl and lick it clean.


Strawberry Basil Frozen Yogurt
Adapted from My Gourmet Connection
Makes about 3 quartz

3 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
3/4 cup sugar (see note)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tbs high quality balsamic vinegar
1 lb strawberries, washed and roughly chopped
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves

In a large bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, sugar, vanilla, and balsamic until well combined.

In a small food processor, pulse the strawberries until pureed. Add the basil and pulse until chopped, but you can still see pieces of the green. Add the strawberries to the yogurt mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour until chilled.

Transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Mine took 20 minutes) Transfer to a container and freeze for another 2-4 hours before serving.


Note: I only used one tablespoon plus one tsp of Splenda and it was sweet enough. I think I only needed to use a small amount of sugar b/c I used a really good quality balsamic vinegar that added sweetness and tartness to the mixture.

1 comments:



Lynne Webb said...

So glad you liked the recipe - that's a great sugar-free adaptation too! Thanks for giving it a try.